Friday 6 April 2012

Kijiji Intervention???

Well its been a while since I last wrote but I now have a new obsession, KIJIJI! I love it! You can sell things and buy things and for the past couple of months I've been doing both. So far I think I'm breaking about even and may even be up $5 or so?  I see it as a way to up grade my old stuff and to get rid of stuff I don't use taking up space in my garage. I even bought my car through Kijiji and I feel that I got it for a steal!  I hardly ever buy anything new now. My wife thinks I'm obsessed and has joked with my daughter that they are going to have to have a Kijiji intervention for me but I'm having fun with it, so where's the harm? Take today for example. I sold my old gas powered weed wacker that was seriously taking up space in my garage that I literally haven't used in three or four years. It was a two stroke, the kind where you had to mix oil with the gas and let me tell you I am NOT good mixing oil with gas! I could never get it right and it would be smoking like no ones business! I used to have an old Lawn Boy lawn mower once that I used to have to mix oil in it and man the smoke that came from it when I mowed was something else! I mean it was almost embarrassing to mow with all the smoke coming out of it! Anyway I'm getting a bit off track right now so this guy buys the weed wacker from me and I could tell he KNEW how to mix his oil in gas, would treat it right, get it to work great, and get much better use out of it than I ever did. I swear I owned it for over 10 years and I'm pretty sure I've only used it like five or six times! So he gives me $40 and I was pretty stoked thinking that $40 was going towards my golf fund for the summer. Wrong! Cue Kijiji! Yep I got on Kijiji and I found an add selling an electric hedge trimmer for $35. I emailed the guy and offered him $20.  He emailed me bad saying no, stating he wanted the full $35. I noticed his other adds and saw a sweet lawn fertilizer spreader for $15 so I emailed him again and offered him $30 for both the spreader and trimmer.  Again he emailed me back saying no but said he'd throw in the spreader for free if I paid the full $35 for the trimmer. I liked that deal and took it because I was actually prepared to pay $40 for the both of them. So I get to the guys place and he looked older than Moses. His house was sold and he was moving into a seniors complex. I actually liked this old guy and gave him his $35 and he tried to sell me some other things but nothing tickled my fancy but ss I was leaving his garage I noticed this small electric weed wacker and I asked him "how much"?  He said $5, I couldn't give him the $5 quick enough! So I spent all of the $40 I made today but I feel like I'm ahead of the game. I turned an old gas powered weed wacker that I haven't used in years, that frustrated the hell out of me, and was an awkward piece of crap to store in the garage into a hedge trimmer, fertilizer spreader, and another weed wacker that is easy enough that I will actually use it! Anyway when I got home I got a call from the guy who bought my weed wacker and my heart sunk because I though he wanted his money back but he was calling to thank me because he got it working great and saved him a ton of money by not having to buy a new one. Yes today was a good day and that wouldn't have happened without Kijiji! The day was even better because when I got home I used the hedge trimmer and I went on a trimming rampage on out three ceder bushes.  What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment